Prepare Your Child for Kindergarten with this Checklist
Posted: May 18th, 2016
It’s your child’s first educational milestone – her preschool graduation! As you take hundreds of pictures, you can’t help but wipe away happy tears from your eyes. Your little one is growing up, and quickly! But is she ready for kindergarten?
Many parents of young children struggle with anxiety when it comes to their child’s educational and social preparedness for the next grade level. It’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of a new school, new teachers and new expectations for learning. You may be asking, “Does my child know all that she needs to know?” “Will she handle the transition well?” “How can I prepare her best for kindergarten?” To help you determine if your child is ready to step out of the preschool classroom and enter kindergarten, we’ve prepared a checklist for you. Use this checklist as a tool to test whether your child has mastered the skills necessary to step into kindergarten equipped for success. But, don’t worry too much if your child doesn’t get an A+ on the test. Progress is just as important as competence!
- Refrain from crying when separated from parent at drop off.
- Listen to and follow 2-3 step directions.
- Solve conflicts with other children without aggression.
- Take off and put on a sweater or jacket by themselves.
- Answer simple questions about themselves when asked.
- Sit still listening to a story for 5-10 minutes.
- Clean up after themselves (especially after meals).
- Use the restroom by themselves without being reminded to wash hands.
- Adjust own clothing before and after using the restroom.
Checklistof Things Your Child Should KNOW Graduating from Preschool:
- Be able to write first and last name.
- Know all the letters in their first name.
- Identify upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
- Count to 30.
- Use fingers to accurately touch count items to ten.
- Identify basic geometric shapes, like circle, square, triangle, star, heart, etc.
- Identify basic colors.
- Identify numerals 1-10 in random order.
- Retell simple stories.
- Be able to rhyme words.
At Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies, we take pride in making sure your preschooler enters kindergarten well-prepared and eager to continue learning! At every stage of your child’s learning journey, Kids ‘R’ Kids develops new and challenging ways to open her mind and expand her imagination. We offer curriculum that incorporates the pillars of STEAM – science, technology, engineering, art and math. We build our education on the foundation of love and trust so that every student feels loved and encouraged by our teachers, staff and peers. Visit any of our Atlanta area locations to see why Kids ‘R’ Kids is the best childcare provider for your family!